|Starts:||04/09/2014 - 7:00pm|
|Ends:||04/09/2014 - 8:00pm|
In partnership with the Westland Public Library, the Michigan Immigrant Rights Center (MIRC) will be hosting a free informational session about naturalization on Wednesday, April 9, 2014 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the Westland Public Library, 6123 Central City Parkway, Westland, MI 48185.
During this one-hour session, an attorney will provide an overview of the naturalization process, discuss requirements and eligibility, describe benefits, and answer questions.
Do you know that besides being able to vote and get a U.S. passport, citizenship provides numerous other benefits. U.S. citizens
- Can petition for more categories of family members from abroad to join them in the United States,
- Can travel abroad for extended periods of time without consequences to U.S. citizenship status,
- Can have their permanent resident children under 18 years old automatically derive citizenship,
- Are safe from deportation and removal,
- Receive certain preferential tax treatment,
- Can apply for public benefits like SSI,
- And so much more.
You may be eligible for naturalization if you have been a permanent resident for five years, or, just three years if you are also married to a U.S. citizen.