The Michigan Immigrant Rights Center (MIRC) is a legal resource center for immigrants and immigration advocates across Michigan with offices in Ypsilanti, Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo. MIRC provides a wide range of legal services aimed to address issues that disproportionately impact immigrant families. These services include litigation, training and technical assistance, and community education. Visit michiganimmigrant.org for more information. MIRC is affiliated with the Michigan Advocacy Program (MAP). MAP provides access to the justice system for those who need it the most through our civil legal aid offices and statewide advocacy programs. MAP has a staff of about 130 people in offices in Ypsilanti, Battle Creek, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Monroe.
MIRC is seeking a Workers’ Rights Staff Attorney focusing on litigation and advocacy on behalf of Michigan’s farmworkers and low-wage, immigrant workers. This position may be located in Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo. Primary responsibilities include:
- Litigating cases in Michigan state and federal courts on behalf of farmworkers and low-wage immigrant workers, primarily for minimum wage and overtime violations, violations of the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act, labor trafficking, retaliation, discrimination and sexual harassment;
- Screening for and filing U or T visa applications for workplace related crimes, where necessary or applicable;
- Advising workers at legal workshops and assisting workers with complaints before Michigan and federal administrative agencies, including but not limited to the U.S. DOL, E.E.O.C., the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, and Michigan’s Wage and Hour Division;
- Advocating to legislative bodies on behalf of farmworkers and low-wage immigrant workers, primarily at the city and state level;
- Conducting know-your-rights workshops at community-based organizations; and
- Supporting MIRC on other workers’ rights related substantive and administrative projects.
Desired Qualifications: At least two years of relevant experience (e.g., representing farmworkers or low-wage workers, clerkship or other litigation experience) is preferred. Applicants must be licensed to practice law in Michigan or be eligible to waive in. Applicants who have worked with, in or on behalf of worker centers or other community-based organizations are strongly encouraged to apply. Fluency in a foreign language—particularly Spanish —is strongly preferred.
Benefits: Full-time position with a salary from $46,000, depending on experience. Includes excellent health, disability, and fringe benefits.
To apply: Applications received by 5/31/19 will receive priority.
- Complete this application form.
- Submit your resume, a list of three professional references, and cover letter by email with “MIRC Workers’ Rights Staff Attorney Position” in the subject line to email@example.com.
MIRC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.