The Michigan Immigrant Rights Center (MIRC) is a legal resource center for immigrants and immigration advocates across Michigan with offices in Ypsilanti, Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo. MIRC provides a wide range of legal services aimed to address issues that disproportionately impact immigrant families. These services include litigation, training and technical assistance, and community education. Visit michiganimmigrant.org for more information. MIRC is affiliated with the Michigan Advocacy Program (MAP). MAP provides access to the justice system for those who need it the most through our civil legal aid offices and statewide advocacy programs. MAP has a staff of about 130 people in offices in Ypsilanti, Battle Creek, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Monroe.
MIRC is seeking a Paralegal to work with our Immigrant Workers’ Right team, which focuses on litigation and advocacy on behalf of Michigan’s farmworkers and low-wage, immigrant workers. The position may be located in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, or Ypsilanti. Primary responsibilities include:
- Providing case management and litigation support to a team of workers’ rights attorneys litigating in Michigan state and federal courts, including communicating directly with clients;
- Providing administrative and case support for U and T visa applications on behalf of clients;
- Assisting with filing of complaints before Michigan and federal administrative agencies, including but not limited to the U.S. DOL, E.E.O.C., the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, and Michigan’s Wage and Hour Division;
- Conducting bilingual know-your-rights workshops at community-based organizations;
- Conducting targeted outreach to migrant agricultural camps in Michigan; and
- Supporting MIRC on other farmworker or immigrant workers’ rights related substantive and administrative projects.
Desired Qualifications: An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of two years of relevant experience (e.g., working with farmworkers or immigrant workers, or litigation support experience) is preferred. Applicants who have worked with, in or on behalf of farmworkers, immigrant rights, worker centers or other community-based organizations are strongly encouraged to apply. Fluency in Spanish is required.
Benefits: This is a full-time position. Salary is based on years of relevant experience and starts at $33,000. Includes excellent health, disability, and fringe benefits.
To apply: Applications received by 5/31/19 will receive priority.
- Complete this application form.
- Submit your resume, a list of three professional references, and cover letter by email with “MIRC Workers’ Rights Paralegal Position” in the subject line to email@example.com.
MIRC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.